Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Secret Life of Trees

A fairly long while ago, I read that "The Secret Life of Plants" was a bunch of horseshit.  But deep down inside of me, I have always believed that plants are sentient. 

I've sometimes wondered about the slow experience of old growth trees...imagined how much they've seen as the years peel by.  The city of Charleston "owns" the Angel Oak, a massive live oak tree that's been alive for 300-400 years...That means it was there for the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. 

Anyhow...trees, trees and more trees at my mother's house in South Carolina.  Right outside her house stood 2 trees embracing.  I mean, one tree had grown its limbs to encircle the tree standing right next to it.  My mom had never noticed them before, but maybe people only notice things when they don't see them every day.  I couldn't get an unencumbered photo of them, but I did get this picture of a tree at the forest preserve right down the street.



Yes, it's just a tree.
But I thought it was a really sweet tree...and it was right at home there...you could tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment